Maryland business news: Avengers, PRS Guitars, Port of Baltimore
Catch up on the latest Maryland business news.
Maryland business successes:
- Baltimore-based Under Armour can now count superheroes among its clients. The company created garments for characters in “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” the Baltimore Sun reports.
- The Baltimore Business Journal also reports that Under Armour earned $33.6 million in broadcast exposure on ESPN and CBS by outfitting pro golfer Jordan Spieth.
- Watch the Port of Baltimore in action in this new MDBIZ News video, highlighting the facility’s massive economic impact.
- InvestMaryland Challenge finalist Lessoncast is a professional learning platform designed to develop and show teaching effectiveness, according to MDBIZ News.
- The free iPhone game “DomiNations,” developed by Timonium-based Big Huge Games, is climbing the charts. Learn more about the company’s road to success in The Baltimore Sun.
- InvestMaryland Challenge finalist GraftWorx is developing technology which will forever change the peripheral bypass graft, according to MDBIZ News.
- Stevensville-based Paul Reed Smith Guitars—beloved by rock stars and students alike—plans to take its guitar manufacturing operation to the next level with assistance from State and county grants, MDBIZ News reports.
- InvestMaryland Challenge finalist Protenus helps hospitals protect patient privacy in electronic medical records, using cutting-edge analytics that identify inappropriate access to patient data in real-time, according to MDBIZ News.
- University of Maryland University College’s “Cyber Padawans” team claimed first place in the first-ever Cyber Diplohack, hosted by the Royal Netherlands Embassy in Washington, D.C. Watch a video from the event on MDBIZ News.
- InvestMaryland Challenge finalist Mercaris provides a market data service and online trading platform for agricultural commodities, according to MDBIZ News.
- As any Marylander will attest, our State is a great place to eat. Meet some of the businesses working to make Maryland even tastier, winners of the Restaurant Association of Maryland‘s annual industry awards, on MDBIZ News.
- The Baltimore Business Journal examines how Astrum Solar grew from one man’s concerns about global warming to one of the nation’s top-10 residential solar providers.
Maryland business resources:
- Baltimore boasts one of the fastest growing tech talent markets. The Baltimore Business Journal explains how this is helping to boost the city’s larger economy.
- Alexandria LaunchLabs in Montgomery County will create five lab and office spaces to accelerate early-stage life science companies, the Washington Business Journal reports.
- In addition to helping boost businesses throughout the State, the Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development (DBED) gives back to the community. DBED led the Maryland Charity Campaign for the second year in a row, MDBIZ News reports.